Essential Oils for Hair, Skin and Nails
Essential oils (EOs), what are these highly fragrant natural oils? Without getting into too much technical or chemistry stuff, EOs are volatile components found mainly in the leaves, flowers and fruits of many plants. EOs are mostly obtained by a process called distillation, which really is using steam to vaporize the oil out of the plant and then collect the oil via condensation. EOs usually are responsible for the plant’s characteristic odour. However, they can be far more than just nice smelling! EOs have been known to exhibit amazing therapeutic properties, especially in the maintenance of healthy skin, hair and nails. They can be thought of as the active ingredients in your natural formulas. Here we discuss 7 essential oils you must have in your beauty cupboard.
- Tea Tree Oil: Well known for its antiseptic properties, Tea Tree oil is a must have! It’s antibacterial and antifungal properties help ward off acne-causing bacteria and nail fungus. Tea Tree oil also helps to regulate sebum production and reduce oily skin which in turn reduces the incidence and severity of breakouts. It is useful in treating eczema, dermatitis and psoriasis. Tea Tree oil is also a common ingredient in many hair care products as it is very effective in treating dandruff and head lice.
- Lavender: Most known for its smoothing nostalgic aroma. Lavender, however, is one of the most versatile essential oils. It is found in hair formulas for all types of hair and scalp conditions, body butter and lotion. Commonly used in aromatherapy because of its stress relieving properties. Properties of Lavender EO include analgesic, antiseptic, antiviral and bactericide.
- YlangYlang: Another versatile EO commonly used in perfumes and body products. Ylang Ylang helps to maintain healthy hair; it balances scalp oil production, increases the thickness of the hair shaft, grow thicker hair and help with split ends.
- Peppermint: Commonly used as a digestive aid, peppermint oil is staple in medicine cabinet. The high menthol content is great for clearing the sinuses. The warming and cooling effects of the oil opens the pours and help stimulate hair growth.
- Lemongrass: A part from being a great insect repellent, lemongrass is known for its antiseptic properties. Lemongrass astringent properties make it a key ingredient in facial toners to manage greasy skin. Its antiseptic property helps fight acne.
- Eucalyptus: Known for its indistinguishable aroma, eucalyptus is also a common oil found in medicine cabinets. It is used as a decongestion. It is fantastic on skin ailments such as blisters, skin infections and burns. It also opens up your pores and stimulates blood flow and hair growth.
- Rosemary: Might not win the best smelling category, however, Rosemary oil is one of the premiere hair growth enhancing essential oils and is useful in the treatment of hair loss conditions. Rosemary oil is also widely used for its antiseptic properties and is perfect in the treatment of hair and nail fungus.
Choose one or combine a few to make your own miracle formula. Remember 100% pure EOs are very potent! It is recommended to always dilute them before use. Carrier oil(s) (like those discussed in our Natural Oils for Hair, Skin and Nails) are perfect diluents, or you can just use one of KIHARA Cosmetics 100% All Natural beauty solutions.
2 thoughts on “Essential Oils for Hair, Skin and Nails”
Pretty! This was an incredibly wonderful article.
Thank you for supplying this information.
We are happy that we could provide you this information.Much more to come.